How to Create a Capsule Wardrobe

Do you suffer from having a full closet of clothes yet feel you have nothing to wear? You are not alone. Research has found women typically wear only 20% of their wardrobe 80% of the time. Essentials, go-tos or fail-safes, or whatever you call them, the 20% are the key pieces in your wardrobe and create the foundation of your personal style. The remaining 80% are typically gratuitous purchases; reactive and panic buys that are not good for the mind, body, or soul.

The solution? Create a capsule wardrobe.

What is a capsule wardrobe?

People often mistakenly believe a capsule wardrobe is minimalist and stripped back, but this is not the case. A capsule wardrobe is a curated collection of coordinated clothes guaranteed to make you feel and look fabulous with each and every wear. These carefully chosen garments are worn in different ways to create fabulous looks for multiple occasions. When imagining a capsule wardrobe think: versatile, organised, environmentally friendly, and best of all – easy.

How to build a capsule wardrobe you’ll love

Review your lifestyle

Many stylists interpret a capsule wardrobe as containing set closet essentials such as a women’s designer dress, or the best luxury cashmere sweater. However, it’s important to think about your lifestyle and your regular activities. Are you a stay-at-home parent? Do you work out a lot? Do you work 9-5? Your regular lifestyle shapes the garments your wardrobe needs. The goal is to invest in timeless pieces you can wear comfortably and effortlessly daily, while elevating your personal style.

Audit your current wardrobe

Beware, this can feel brutal. Assess the clothes you currently have in your wardrobe. Any garment that doesn’t make you feel happy and stylish must go. Keep clothes that celebrate your body shape, complement your skin tone, and boost your confidence. Auditing your wardrobe allows you to see which key pieces you lack that will complete several outfits. For example, a camel trench coat offers luxurious versatility – is as ideal with a dress and heels as it is with your favourite denims and retro sneakers.

Make notes of items you need to replace or additions you need make to your wardrobe, the materials and textures you like, the tones and colours that suit you. These are key to creating a capsule wardrobe you love.

Explore new looks to refresh your style

Every capsule wardrobe has essential staples such as quality neutral-coloured t-shirts and black trousers, but it’s also a great opportunity to experiment with new styles and shapes to add flair and panache to your wardrobe.

Remember, just because you wear an item regularly doesn’t mean it is always the best option for you style-wise. The Lynn Woods stylists are on hand to help you discover and explore alternatives. You are more than welcome to join us at our Merivale boutique for inspiration and guidance.

As a woman, there are so many plates to spin: family, friends, work, health, home, and leisure. Your personal style shouldn’t be a source of stress; rather, it is a tool to empower you to be the woman you wish to be. Lynn Woods Christchurch NZ is open seven days a week, and we look forward to meeting you soon. 

Add comment